Remove this ad

linenup

fanatic

Lead

May 8 12 3:28 PM

Tags : :

Here is a post by briboy who suffered with gastrointestinal issues for over 3 years and finally resolved this, he was diagnosed with e histolytica and given pharmaceuticals

http://pptu.lefora.com/2012/05/07/checking-in/#post8

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 9 12 9:34 AM

Hi all,

This is the letter I wrote to the Cleveland Clinic, for my week long appointment, in which they gave me a final diagnosis of IBS-D and GERD. 

This should pretty much show you that I was just like each and everyone of you, suffering from many of the same symptoms you do.  Trying all the medications in the world to eradicate my problem with no luck.

As you can see in the link above, it wasn't until I saw Dr. Cahill in NYC that I was diagnosed with E. Histolytica and eradicated the bug completely.

One thing to note is that my overactive thyroid was in response to the underlying infection in my body - EH.  I've never had thyroid problems before and the only reason the thyroid was so out of whack was b/c it was the body's natural response for having to fight off an on-going, invasive, infection for so long.

For your convenience, I've also listed an update on each symptom, in CAPS, in the note below, since I've eradicated the bug and have had time to recover.

Your welcome lineup :)

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers,
Brian

--

Dear National Consult Team –

My name is XXXX XXXXX and I would like to schedule a consult with your world-class physicians at the Cleveland Clinic.

A quick background on the reason for making this appointment – I lived in India for 4 months about 3 years ago and have been back about 6-7 times since.  I also travel frequently to Russia and other emerging markets for business.  On my initial trip to India, I unknowingly drank the water and ate the food.  A year or so later, I remember experiencing the signs of Giardia during that trip but was too naïve to do anything about it.  Once I got back to London (where I was living at the time), I started to experience terrible sinus issues and saw many ENT doctors to no avail.  It wasn’t until I moved to LA and saw my general doctor, an allergist (numerous times) and eventually an ENT that I ended up getting sinus surgery on a deviated septum.  One week after the surgery, the symptoms came back and neither the ENT nor allergist could explain it.  Finally, after speaking with some relatives who are doctors, the suggestion of parasites came up.   

A lot of my symptoms, which I’ll list a bit later, were very much in line with those of parasitic infections.  I took two stool tests but neither came up with any parasites.  I also tried many different medications, which I’ll also list later, to no avail.  As I wasn’t making any progress, I scheduled an appointment with a very well-known GI doctor in Beverly Hills, CA.  I saw Dr. XXX  XXXXXX for about 6-8 months w/ no luck.  Dr. XXXXX ran many different tests on me, which will be listed below and tried new types of medications but we had no luck.  Seeing that I wasn’t making progress with Dr. XXXXXX, I moved on to more of a homeopathic doctor who was not only a homeopathic doctor but also studied traditional medicine and Chinese medicine.  We’ve tried various herbal concussions and most recently an antibiotic followed by a very strong probiotic and anti-fungal – which will be listed below.  The one thing the homeopathic doctor did help me discover is that my Thyroid was extremely overactive.  He said my reverse T3 test was the highest he’s ever seen.  Normal range for reverse T3 is 11-32.  My result was 173.  After taking thyroid meds for the past 6 weeks, it is still a bit high at 36, but definitely much more reasonable. 

At this point, I’ve really come to a crossroads.  I have not been able to be myself, a normal healthy 27 year old boy, for the last 3 years.  Two nights ago, I had to go to the Emergency Room because the pain in my intestines was so severe.  The ER wasn’t much help but it made me realize I need to figure this out once and for all and therefore, the reason for scheduling the consultation at the Cleveland Clinic.

My symptoms have been pretty consistent over the past 3 years.  In the beginning it was more sinus related issues that I would notice (I refused to believe I had GI issues at that point) but as I started taking various medications, the sinus issues started to dissipate and the GI issues became a lot more evident. 

My symptoms include:

Strong Constipation -- SOME CONSTIPATION STILL EXISTS BUT I BELIEVE IT JUST TAKES TIME FOR THE BODY TO GET BACK TO NORMAL
Diarrhea (not as frequent as constipation) -- GONE.  STOOLS ARE NORMAL
Foul smelling Gas -- GONE
Stomach gurgling loud after lunch and before bed – which has diminished a bit w the diet -- GONE
Pain below left rib cage (Spleen) -- GONE
Very tender pain below belly button -- GONE

Abdominal pain in middle upper abs -- GONE
Anal Itch -- GONE
Milk/Dairy Intolerance -- STILL HAVE NOT HAD MILK/DAIRY.  PROB WILL WAIT ANOTHER 4-6 MONTHS
Fatigue -- GONE
On-going sinus issues / Pain under top of eyes / nostrils clogged -- GONE
Constant fluid in ears and post-nasal drip in throat -- STILL A LITTLE FLUID IN EARS EVERY SO OFTER
Major Weight Loss (176 lbs. to 147 lbs. in last 3 months) -- IT WAS MOSTLY MUSCLE LOSS.  I'M GAINING IT BACK AT THE GYM SLOWLY BUT SURELY.  UP TO 153.
Terrible right shoulder pain -- GONE

Lower back pain -- STILL THERE BUT MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE.  DR. CAHILL TOLD ME THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE TO GO AWAY.
Waking in Middle of Night w/ urge to urinate / Insomnia -- STILL HAPPENS.  I BELIEVE THIS IS FROM THE IMPACT OF THE AMOEBA ON MY LIVER.  I THINK A LIVER CLEANSE WILL HELP SORT THIS OUT BUT WAITING A FEW MONTHS TO DO SO.

Dry Mouth in evening -- GONE

Loss of hair (so says my girlfriend) -- FULL HEAD OF HAIR :)

One note on the above: I had issues in college with my spleen.  I ended up doing a PET scan which revealed my spleen was enlarged.  There was never a remedy but I’m getting that same pain again that I got in college.

As mentioned, the symptoms really started after my first India trip but have gotten progressively worse over the past 3 years. 

Types of testing:

Allergy Testing

Various Stool Testing -- Traditional labs and Parasitology labs

Colonoscopy

EGD (w/ biopsy of small intestines)

Various Blood Testing

I can provide the results of the Colonoscopy/EGD and all the tests upon my visit.  Essentially, the doctor said they found mucus in my throat which suggests GERD and put me on Nexium (w/out success).  They also found a mini ulcer in my stomach which they removed.  He said everything else was normal.  As previously mentioned, the blood test from the homeopathic doctor showed hyperthyroidism.

I was due to have a video endoscopy but my GI doctor didn’t believe it would reveal anything.  The GI doctor also wanted me to have a hydrogen breath test but instead, he had me try rifaximin to see if the symptoms went away – which they did while I was on the medication but then swiftly came back towards the end.

The only allergy found was an allergy to histamines.  Other than that, no food or environmental allergies were found. 

Here is a list of medications I have taken:

1.     Metrinidazole

2.     Amoxocillin

3.     Tinidazole

4.     Albendazole

5.     Humaworm

6.     Ciprofloxacin

7.     Rifaximin

8.     Triple Therapy for Blastocyst Hominis / D Fraglis which consisted of Secnidazole, Dioloxanide Furoate, Bactrim DS and Doxycycline

9.     Alinia

10.  Metrinidazole and Iodoquinol together

11.  L-Glutamine

12.  Various liver, kidney and parasite cleanses

13.  60 billion probiotics

14.  Okra Pepsin E3

15.  Antronex

16.  Nexium

For the past 6 months, I’ve been doing the Specific Carbohydrates Diet and once I met with the homeopathic doctor, I made some tweaks to create a more alkaline diet to bring my body’s pH to an optimal 7.4.

I stopped trying antibiotics a few months back (they were taken over the course of the 3 years) because of the further damage they were probably doing on my intestines.  Since then, I’ve been doing more natural stuff and probiotics.

My current medications include –

1.     Thyroid grains concocted by homeopathic doctor

2.     Amphotericin-B

3.     50 billion Custom Probiotics – Acidophilus and Bifidus

4.     DGL Licorace before eating for GERD

5.     Digestive Enzyme concocted by homeopathic doctor

I also have a shake each morning consisting of banana, almond milk, psyllium husks, mixture of green vegetables in powder form and ice to try and keep my bowels moving over the course of the day. 

Ideally, I would like to schedule my first appointment at the Cleveland Clinic anytime on Wednesday December 21st.  I would then be available, in Cleveland, from December 21st until January 2nd for further appointments at the clinic.  If need be, I could extend my trip to January 5th but I must be back in LA no later than the 5th as I have to visit Hong Kong and Moscow on business the following weekend. 

I believe the most appropriate doctors would be a GI doctor, infectious disease (tropical medicine) doctor and an internist – not necessarily in that order.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Brian

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#2 [url]

May 9 12 8:33 PM

briboy:  Awesome letter -  the bad thing is the medical system is so bureaucratic as you know and in spite of our best intentions and education this often falls on deaf ears.   But we have a voice on the internet that can empower people to make better choices.  Thanks for sharing.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 15 12 1:37 AM

So is it likely that a person with e.histolytica will herx and feel a bit better on iodoquinol alone, but need paromomycin as well to get the job done properly?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 15 12 2:33 AM

Really great!

I have some of those symptoms, too, and I was diagnosed with three parasites, one of them BH. 
I had the triple pharmaceuticals too, but I am still in pain, even though some seems to be better. I am going to make another metametrix test to see if I at least got rid of one of the parasites/protozoa.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Aug 6 12 9:16 PM

Another update --

Last week, I drank beer for the first time since eradicating EH.  I felt perfectly fine thereafter.

This past weekend I had about 4-5 mixed alcoholic drinks and had no reaction at all.  Felt great the next day and was able to have normal stools.

I've now ganed about 20 lbs of muscle back since I eradicated EH and continue to put on healthy mass.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Good luck!!

Cheers,
Brian 

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 7 12 6:40 AM

Congrats Brian again and thank you again for all your time and help!
How is your girlfriend?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help