Remove this ad

linenup

fanatic

Lead

Jan 18 12 12:31 AM

Tags : :

Starting a new category to explore how to disable efflux pumps using natural substances.  Simply put, the efflux pump is a pump that resides in most pathogenic organisms.  Its job is to transport substances outside the cell and this includes substances that threaten its survival namely antibiotics but they also export immune factors such as defensins.  

The pathogen can 'taste' the antibiotic and makes a memory of this substance so that when it is reintroduced, the pathogen simply pumps it out of the cell.   

This is part of the antibiotic resistance that we hear about in the media.  This is a relatively new discovery and medicine is making inroads on how to disable the pumps to allow antibiotics to penetrate and kill the organisms.  I have seen first hand the power of these pumps when I had the pathogens on the run for them only to adapt and defeat the antibiotic.  

There are many journal articles concerning the use of natural substances, namely herbs, to defeat the efflux pump.  This category will explore those and possible other options.  

Efflux is an important mechanism of resistance in many clinically relevant pathogens, notably, Streptococcus pneumoniae and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.[9,31] The efflux pumps (EPs) are proteins of bacterial membranes which extrude antibiotics and other antimicrobial agents from the cell.[32] These EPs can transport drugs through the bacterial envelope and limit the intracellular accumulation of toxic compounds, such as antibiotics, antimicrobial peptides, metals and detergents.[32] It has been reported that plants provide a rich source of efflux pumps inhibitors (EPIs).[19,30] Therefore, there is an urgent need for novel drugs with new modes of action, such as EPIs, to prevent the rise of MDR bacteria.[20] EPI activities of natural compounds have been reported elsewhere.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749852_5

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Aug 11 13 4:09 PM

Agreed ^^. I learn so much here.
Thank you Lineup and everyone else who takes part on this forum.

Looking forward to learning more about efflux pumps - especially botanicals.

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#3 [url]

Aug 11 13 10:49 PM

Thanks and thank you all for participating.   A new member sent me very good material concerning his research and usage of herbs to bind these pumps up and the results he is getting is remarkable.  I have asked if he could share an outline for the community and I think he is busy at the moment.   If not then I will be summarizing the protocol.  One of the big finds is the use of goldenseal leaf and not goldenseal root as the root does not affect efflux pumps.    The journal articles and the information he shared indicated that there are key components in the leaf that are able to bind the activity, he is using other botanicals along with goldenseal.  

This is being used for both protozoa and Lyme disease.  Lyme is characterized by the spirochete bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi which is known for its fierce resistance.  The other issue is the biofilm environment which protects the organisms.   After reading much of this forum over time, it is my feeling that if treatment is started within a reasonable time after infection that the drug therapies have a much better chance where the longer term provides a biofilm environment for them to harbor then creating a more chronic infection rather than an acute infection.   

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 12 13 5:29 AM

That's interesting, as I did notice some benefit when I tried root goldenseal, might have to give the leaf a go once I read more about the protocol.

Btw, do you think it might be worth having a glossary thread for things like biofilms, efflux pumps etc? (Which can maybe link to more detailed threads like this one too) 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help