Lead

Nov 22 11 4:25 PM

Tags : :

>>Simplified version of the protcol is here >> http://pptu.lefora.com/2012/01/30/lactoferrin-xylitol-protocol-simplified/#post0

Note1:   I am getting many hits outside the PPTU forum and although this protocol can be used for any biofilm related pathogens, it should be noted that some of the material is for gut related pathogens.
There are three primary factors that should be considered:

a)  What type of pathogen am I contending with.  This is important as many antimicrobials are developed with specific pathogens in mind.   For those with gastrointestinal infections, it is best to utilize the Metametrix GI Effects Stool test, using panel #2105 is a more cost effective test to use.   There are many pathogens that can get into the gut and each of those should be dealt with specific protocols.   

b)  Is my pathogen biofilm related?  This is difficult to say as their is no library advising you of the pathogen and its relationship to biofilms.  Please see Note 2 for more information. 

c)  Does my pathogen use defense mechanisms?  There are three known defense mechanisms that pathogens may use.  Efflux pumps are the primary form of resistance.  Please see this link for more information. http://pptu.lefora.com/2012/01/18/starting-a-new-category/#post0

Note 2:  Not all organisms form biofilms, but it estimated that 70% of them do, so if your pathogens are not biofilm related then the protocol may not be helpful.   However most chronic infections are more than likely biofilm related.   I have various reports on the use of the protocol,  some are reporting no die off at all while others are report substantial die off.   I would suspect that systemic biofilms such as Lyme are not going to react as strongly as biofilms that form in the gastrointestinal tract.   My best guess is that one month of treatment would tell you if the protocol is working.  
Lactoferrin Xylitol protocol (L/X) *protocol credits to Randy Wolcott, M.D. & Montana State University Biofilm Dept. (modified by Patrick Bayer, CNC)  Thanks to William Eustace of Symbiotics for his information about 100% Lactoferrin.  Biofilm protocol 1201.77  1215.182 1222.240 0107.500 0124.700

Disclaimer:  The following is for education purposes only, by reading this, you agree that you will discuss this protocol with your healthcare provider.  You agree that the authors will not be held liable.
It is my opinion that the L/X combination is effective and needs to be investigated further, I also think that a codified approach needs to be completed.
*update 12/15/2011:  From preliminary feedback, die off should occur within 5 to 10 days.  It is my belief that biofilms may not be a primary issue with all people, however there is no harm from what I can tell by using this protocol.   The longer an infection has been present, the greater the issue for deeper biofilm development and there are pathogens that are more prone to develop biofilm environments.   
Overview:
The thoughts of the protocol lie in the biofilm environment in which pathogens are protected by the matrix of the biofilm.  This protection enables them to be protected against assaults by both the natural immune responses and from antimicrobials.  Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) has become an issue and clinicians are realizing that this is problematic.  About 70% of pathogens result in the biofilm environment while the remaining 30% are planktonic organisms.  Planktonic organisms generally cause acute immune reactions and more than likely will land you in the emergency room or your primary care physician, however biofilm based infections are more chronic and not acute in their nature.   Immune responses differ greatly between the biofilm and the planktonic infections.  Generally speaking, AMR is largely due to the biofilm enviroment and  efflux pumps.   By disrupting the biofilm environment, the pathogens can no longer resist either the immune responses or antimicrobials.  

Here is what I am observing at the moment and will be modified as time moves on:

1/ Lactoferrin needs to be 100% Lactoferrin. Currently Jarrow is the product used so far - as far as I can tell it appears to be generic - that is perhaps any form could be utilized. Symbiotics called me and stated that they have a patented lacto that is being used in MRSA patients by hospitals.

Dosage of lactoferrin: I started with 250mg once per day and after 2 weeks have moved up to 500mg 1x per day and have also used a total of 750mg total  **update 12/1/2011:  this appears to be causing problems for some people in that the die off is too strong - best to cut back the dose and move up slowly.  Perhaps using 1/2 of a cap (125mg) is a better starting point. 

2/ Xylitol. I am currently using NOW xylitol - which appears to be generic. Dosage: 1 to 2 teaspoons. This could likely change.  

**update 12/1/2011:  it is highly suggested that only the lactoferrin/xylitol be used in the initial phases at the lower doses then gently move up the dosage.  I would NOT add any of the following until you can tolerate doses without major upsets.  

3/ Antibiotics - this could include pharma and herbal and caprylic acid. It is not suggested to use this in the 1st week or so. If used they should be used in a low dose method - that is using a pulsing method which is lower dose (in milligrams) and less in the frequency. The thoughts behind this are two-fold -  first Lactoferrin will potenize any antimicrobial.  Best estimates are anywhere from 4 to 16 times increase, secondly using low doses will  not suppress  the immune response (read Marshall protocol), keeping die off to minimums and stopping antimicrobial resistance. Using different agents may be helpful. Link for pulsing http://mpkb.org/home/protocol/mp_antibiotics/dosing

Update (Aug 2013):  

6/  Some people have reported that xylitol may have an adverse effect with the idea that some bacteria can metabolize it.  Trying the protocol with just lactoferrin or lactoferrin/xylitol should give the answer to that.  Note that it is difficult sometimes to differentiate between die off (Herxheimer) and situations where the immune system could be activated (e.g. xylitol is feeding the infection).  

7/  Many organisms are MDR (multiple drug resistant).  Many reports have come back that the LX protocol worked but did not resolve the infection.   MDR infections typically resist anti-microbials via the efflux pump mechanism.  Medical science has shown there is a refractory period in which a 4-7 day window exists of sensitivity.   The thought behind this is that if an organism is sensitive to an antimicrobial, die off will begin with that window.   If progress does not continue after this period, there is a good chance that the organism is MDR.    With MDR organisms, continuing the medication will no longer work since the organisms are coded with DNA to sniff out the medication and begin to deploy their efflux pumps to literally pump out the meds from the cells, thus rendering them ineffective. Using natural substances such as Goldenseal Leaf (not root) has been shown to stop efflux pump activity, there are a number of other herbals that can achieve this.  I have some of them listed in the MDR/Efflux pump category.   It is best to use cycling or pulsing of antimicrobials to restrict MDR activity.   Please read this person's account of how he eradicated a stubborn infection using biofilm eradication and cycling.  http://pptu.lefora.com/2013/06/17/everything-that-worked-and-didnt/#post0

--end of update (Aug 2013)

4/ Witch hazel (as raw herb and not liquid) and white peony root are under investigation not in the fact of whether they are effective but rather if they might elicit a stronger die off. I will include Chebula in this category since it a proven eradicator of biofilm.

5/ Enzymes are under investigation, I used enteric-coated serrapeptase and imo this is the proper form so do not buy serrapeptase that is not enteric coated. I have used another formula that has tested well and will update this with a link.  Pectinase has been proven to be the most effective enzyme against biofilms.  

6/ Use of probiotics. From what I read, healthy bacteria form biofilms so to be on the safe side I think probiotics should be taken.

7/ There seems to be some controversy about the role of iron during infections as it will feed the biofilm/organisms but is also necessary by the host immune system.  
http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.ppat.1000949

It is my understanding that you should  not use iron in supplemental form while on this protocol.  Iron is one of the minerals that the biofilms will use to build the matrix, Lactoferrin works by disabling the iron molecule from the biofilm, thus weakening its structure.  It is well know that the body will sequester (store) iron during periods of infection, losing your complexion (pale) is due to the body's removal of iron to prevent biofilm formation.   You might want to check any of your supplements to make sure they do not have hidden iron.   A hair analysis (send me a message here on the forum if interested) can be helpful to assess other minerals such as copper which is needed by the white blood cells to gobble up the pathogens.  Other minerals can play a direct and indirect role in system health.  

Lysozyme:
Under investigation are Lysozyme - which is another naturally occuring protein that the innate immune response uses to disable pathogens.  Preliminary research indicates that lysozyme is effective against a number of organisms (bacteria, fungal, protozoa and viral) and seems to work in conjunction with Lactoferrin and sIGA*.  There is not much research about it being used for protozoa infections but I did find this reference in its use against the protozoa e histolytica    

Furthermore, the inhibition of Entamoeba histolytica by
lysozyme (Isibasi et al., 1982) was explained by the
presence in its membrane of lipopeptidophosphoglycan
which could react with the enzyme in a similar manner as
the peptidoglycan (see León-Sicairos et al., 2006).
**I am currently adding this to my protocol and will see where this goes.  **update 12/1/2011, it appears to be working quite well and have not experienced any adverse reactions, however there have been some reports that it could have some negative effects as a supplement, this would all be dependent on how much natural lysozyme your body naturally produces.  Anyhow here is a link for lysozyme information   http://biologyofkundalini.com/article.php?story=Lysosomes-BecomingUnglued
*sIgA = secretory immunglobin  - click here to read  a post concerning sIGA 

Advanced (alternative) technique:
This protocol is for use of gastrointestinal infections.  Under investigation is retention enemas (implant) using the protocol, it is my feeling that this should be done after using the protocol for a few weeks.  Implants have a distinct advantage over oral intake in that it is a direct method, the Center of Digestive Diseases using direct injection enemas to deliver their triple drug cocktail.   It would suggested that a cleansing enema be used before the implant.   Currently I am using only one implant per day (used before bed).    I am using an enema ball to implant and try to keep the amount to a limited amount to prevent wanting to expel the solution.

What is Lactoferrin:
Lactoferrin is 100% lactoferrin and can purchased from many sources.  Lactoferrin is a protein that the body naturally produces and is part of the immune response.   It has antimicrobial activity (bacteriocide, fungicide) and is part of the innate defense, mainly at mucoses (gastrointestinal tract, lungs, sinus etc).  It has also been shown to inhibit viral activity and shows great promise in cancer - please see this article here.  Research shows it helps the immune system by disabling the biofilm environment which allows the immune system to destroy the pathogens hiding in the biofilm.   When organisms are locked in the biofilm, they form resistance mechanisms that allow for the survival.   

What is Xylitol:
Xylitol is a naturally occuring sugar substitute that is made from fruits, vegetables or the birch tree.  It is considered safe and has no toxicity.   There are reports that some people may have an intolerance to it, applied kinesiology may be helpful in this situation.  Wiki article here on xylitol. 

What this formula does:
The thoughts behind this is that the biofilm holds the power and by pulling it apart then the pathogens become exposed to death by the immune system or through low dose antimicrobials.

Power of L/X:
L/X will potentize any antibiotic substance you are taking. Many of us are used to using high quanities of substances (pharma, herbal etc) to try to kill off these pathogens, if you attempt to use the same dosages with the L/X, you will find it is too much. If you were using 100mg of something by itself, if you add that to the L/X combination you will be get an estimated 3 to 5 increase in killing power, so it is highly recommended to use the proper precautions. 
How long for treatment:
This is under the investigation phase. I would suppose that this will depend on how 'deep' the biofilm is. For long standing infections I would believe that this process would be longer versus a shorter term infection.  Best guess at this point is that effects will be noticed within 1 to 3 days with the treatment lasting anywhere from 2 weeks up to 6 weeks (best estimate). 

How to handle die-off:
First it is important to understand your threshold of treatment, that is you cannot try to overburden the system with lots of die off, so it is better to got slow and be steady rather than hitting it hard only to find yourself incapacitated.  When you reach the threshold, you will know when to stop using the protocol until you clear the die off.  It is common to hit different levels during the protocol in which you will need to stop and later restart.   Using fiber will help sweep the toxic material out of your body. I happen to be a big fan of bulk charcoal which absorbs toxins very well. I would use charcoal away from my supplements as the charcoal will pick up nutrients as well rendering them ineffective. Some swear by Pascalite clay as it too is an effective sweeper of toxins.  Again I would tend to steer clear of either charcoal or clays during treatment phases since they will pull out the Lactoferrin (drugs etc) however fiber should enhance the action of the protocol.   Using charcoal and/or clays when you reach a strong die off (where you have to stop the protocol) is a great idea. 
The same holds true for antioxidants as they may have a tendency to weaken the protocol.  I would use them away from the protocol especially when you are in a big die off period and you need to reduce the die off.   I happen to be a big fan of vitamin C, preferably pharmaceutical grade. I also use a wide range of other antioxidants which includes herbal combinations. I found that using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) 1 teaspoon in water helped detoxify the colon by reducing acids. If you are sodium sensitive or suffer with high blood pressure then potassium bicarbonate may be a better choice. These products will bring your pH levels back into a more reasonable balance.
Other antioxidants that might be helpful include zeolite, grape seed extract, enteric coated SOD from Solaray, EDTA, Vitamin E, cysteine, adaptogenic herbs etc. 

Stress responses:
Stress responses are part of the die off phase and it is important to maintain high levels of nutrients . You can read some of the literature I posted under "Supporting the body" for some ideas. Protein is critical during stress reactions so it is important to maintain good levels. Glutamine is excreted heavily under stress and should be considered for supplementation along with other quality protein sources. Glutamine is also essential for colon health. You may consider using supplemental Whey protein during this process.

Adrenal involvement is always an issue with any stress response and biological stress can be the harshest of them all. Typically stress is thought of as being an emotional issue, but stress occurs on many levels and this is often missed in popular thinking. Anytime stress is involved, the adrenals are involved. Supporting the adrenals through proper nutritional supplementation is critical and I have outlined this under ' supporting the body ' category. This would include adaptogenic herbs, nutritional support, anti oxidants and drinking plenty of good water.
Liver Congestion:
The liver takes a lot of abuse with such chronic infections and from the subsequent die off from the protocol so it is important to keep the liver 'open'.  I personally use a few products for this: cysteine or NAC and herbal liver cleaners, I also use acupressure stimulation to open up the liver meridian. 
I have some literature posted here that may help you understand in more depth. 

Gut Repair:
The colon suffers a lot of damage from these types of infections.  Leaky gut syndrome is a generic term that is thrown around without much clarification.   Leaky gut is when the colon walls become perforated due to pathogen involvement, more than likely it becomes damaged due to the strong oxidants that the immune system generates in order to eradicate the pathogen.  Some pathogens are more benign than others, so depending on the type of pathogen, damage could be from slight to great.  Perforation leads to undigested proteins entering the bloodstream in which the immune system evokes more responses.  

There are a number of supplements that can added to reduce inflammation and bring repair of the gut.  Including
Glutamine
Aloe Vera
Peppermint
Chamomile
Slippery Elm
Fiber
Probiotics
Fatty acids (olive oil, fish oil etc)
Protein  (whey powder etc)
Antioxidants
Vitamin A 
Vitamin D
Colostrum
Obviously a healthy diet is going to expedite the healing process, so be sure to include whole foods such as green drinks, organic fruits and vegetables etc.  
**this thread  will be updated on a regular basis**
Copyright 2011 Patrick Bayer CNC, PPTU.Lefora.com. All rights reserved.

All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of Patrick Bayer