Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 11 11 3:20 PM

Tags : :

Among the compounds that were studied, there were 10 novel pharmaceutical compounds that were previously unknown as anti-giardiasis agents. One of the most potent novel compounds is fumagillin, which kills Giardia trophozoites with IC50 = 10nM, suggesting a potential repurposing of this drug as an anti-giardiasis drug. The innovative utility of these drugs as anti-giardiasis agents is an unpr

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

linenup

fanatic

#1 [url]

Jul 11 11 11:54 PM

bugsel:  thanks for posting, this is the first I have ever heard of this  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumagillin

Two considerations:

1/  Toxicity - 

2/  Availability   I don't think your average doctor would prescribe, thus an overseas pharmacy would have to supply   I have never seen it at the pharmacies I have been to but worth checking  Magic Pharma may have it.   

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 19 11 10:22 PM

Nope, MagicPharma doesn't have it. 
I read the following on http://www.tpc.tulane.edu/disease_micro.html

fumagillin and related compounds show great potential. Toxicity concerns, however, have led to studies to clone, express, and characterize methionine aminopeptidase 2, the putative fumagillin target of the microsporidia.
I'm not sure if this means that methionine works similar to fumagillin, or if fumagillin attacks the methionine!  Why can't science articles be more clear?!  So should we try to increase our methionine, or reduce it?

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#3 [url]

Dec 20 11 8:34 AM

thisland:  appears to target the methionine based enzyme that the organisms use -  all pharmas target some key part of the organism to disable it -  I don't think that supplementation would make a difference, or that is my thoughts at the moment -  how long are the meds taken for?  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 20 11 10:24 PM

OK, so the fumagillin attacks the methionine.  But if you can't get it anyway, it's pretty much a moot point!  Unless there's a similar substance that attacks methionine, which IS available!

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#5 [url]

Dec 21 11 3:42 AM

actually attacks an enzyme that is methionine dependent

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Dec 23 11 1:07 PM

I've been told by some practitioners to avoid taking B vitamins while treating parasites. See Biamonte website at: www.health-truth.com/. He talks initially about candida but he also covers all pathogens.
Many of the bugs (bacteria as well as parasites) are serotonin feeding neurotoxins. Methionine is the precursor to serotonin. For those of you who have done a urine organic acid test, you may well find high 5HIAA excretion and low serotonin on other neuro panels. This indicates that the bugs are using the available serotonin and excreting its metabolite which is 5HAII (some endocrine tumors do the same thing). On the other hand Paromomycin depletes folate and makes it unavailable to the organism. So there appears to be different methods of starving the bugs of their needed nutrients. Unfortunately, this strategy will also deplete the host of the very same nutrients and cause all kinds of havoc. I don't think that we should all stop taking needed nutrients in an effort to starve these critters and be on certain drugs that also deplete our reserves of nutrients. For one, we are all nutritionally deprived with these infections and secondly, we'd all go stark raving bonkers without B vitamins and key amino acids. Plus the bugs will win this contest hands down before we cave in.

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#7 [url]

Dec 23 11 2:28 PM

Unfortunately, this strategy will also deplete the host of the very same nutrients and cause all kinds of havoc. I don't think that we should all stop taking needed nutrients in an effort to starve these critters and be on certain drugs that also deplete our reserves of nutrients. For one, we are all nutritionally deprived with these infections and secondly, we'd all go stark raving bonkers without B vitamins and key amino acids. Plus the bugs will win this contest hands down before we cave in.

My feeling exactly.   I see no reason to make ourselves weaker through deprivation.   I have read stories about Malaria in which there is a high mortality yet there are those who live normal productive lives while still being infected.   

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#8 [url]

Apr 8 12 1:19 AM

Fumagillin is being used by the bee community in which a parasite (microsporidia) is to blame for the mass destruction of the bee population.   

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 8 12 2:48 PM

The compound was first isolated in 1949. There must be some reason why they've taken so long to bring this to market for humans.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help