Remove this ad

linenup

fanatic

Lead

Jul 11 11 2:04 PM

Tags : :

*note - you can reference the next article on Pippali rasayana as this is a derivative of piper longum.  I found the essential oil of this which may be more effective.  

Phytother Res. 1999 Nov;13(7):561-5.

Antigiardial and immunostimulatory effect of Piper longum on giardiasis due to Giardia lamblia.
Tripathi DM, Gupta N, Lakshmi V, Saxena KC, Agrawal AK.
Source

Division of Microbiology, Central Drug Research Institute, P.O. Box 173, Lucknow - 226001, India.
Abstract

Piper longum fruit, used in traditional remedies as well as in the Ayurvedic system of medicine against intestinal disorders, was tested for its efficacy against experimental infection of Giardia lamblia in mice. On in vitro test, an aqueous extract of P. longum fruit powder (PF) at 250 microg/mL and its ethanol extract at 125 microg/mL showed 100% giardicidal activity. A low order activity was found in the n-butanol extract. Further fractionation in hexane and chloroform resulted in a total loss of activity. The survival of-trophozoites in mice at 900 mg/kg body weight was 11.12 in PF, 8. 54 in aqueous extract, 5.81 in ethanol extract. The antigiardial activity of PF in hexane, chloroform and n-butanol soluble fractions was comparable to the drug-untreated control (47.63). Piper longum possessed a demonstrable immunostimulatory activity, both specific and nonspecific, as evident from the standard test parameters such as haemagglutination titre (HA), plaque forming cell (PFC) counts, macrophage migration index (MMI) and phagocytic index (PI). A maximum effect was found at 225 mg/kg body weight in mice. The effect was marginally reduced at higher doses of 450 and 900 mg/kg or the lower dose of 112.5 mg/kg.

Copyright 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
PMID: 10548746 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Nov 13 12 8:32 PM

Yes, I have it in alcohol to make an extract.   I have been using Piper Cubeb which there is an article on the forum that shows its effectiveness, it has helped.  Of course the question is whether my parasite is the same as yours, mine are quite resistant.    Both contain Piperine which has anti biotic properties.

I personally like alcohol extracts which you can make by putting the herb in a coffee grinder or blender and I pulverize it then put it in a minimum 80 proof vodka.   Alcohol helps extract the plant chemicals.  You can put it in hot water and use as a tea, but of course you can use the dried herb and take as a capsule.  

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 13 12 8:53 PM

So helpful...Thanks Linenup. Mine is definitely Entamoeba Histolytica. May also have Blasto (was previously diagnosed with this but Cahill is saying none there now) but it's the EH that's causing problems. 

Had been reading about alcohol extracts but wasn't sure how to get nongrain (have celiac) ones but I can get potato vodka and make myself.

Which others are you making extracts of? Cloves? artemesinin? Would adding fresh crushed garlic cloves to alcohol amp up the benefits?

Have been taking Thorne's Berbercap (Berberine) but had read that the extracts are more effective. Would adding it to vodka accomplish the task? Would dosing remain the same?

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#4 [url]

Nov 13 12 9:20 PM

I made up a cocktail of several herbs that are extracted, I buy bulk herbs.  Mixtures of different herbs probably makes more sense, e.g. hit from every angle.   Combining herbs with pharmas can make sense since many of the herbs can stop the resistance phase.  For instance I concocted the following:

1/  Cubeb peppercorns, paprika, black seed, andrographis and graviola.   This helps but when I added the pharma Albendazole, helped even more.   I suppose one should investigate mixing before starting to be on the safe side.  

2/  Guava, mango and papaya leaves with goldenseal, cubeb peppercorns and black seed.  

Part of the puzzle is to find the substances that organisms are vulnerable to.   

I never tried cloves in an extract but take as a ground herb, tried artemesian with no effect but e histo could be sensitive to it.  Never tried garlic as an extract and don't know if it exists but fresh garlic is best.  The more you pulverize it the more allicin gets released which is good.   

Yes vodka extracts are the same as extracts (I think that it is what you are saying), I suppose that dosing would be equal.   There are a number of herbs that contain berberine including goldenseal, oregon grape root, chinesis coptis etc.   Berberine can stop the resistance phase of the parasite.  

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 13 12 9:21 PM

I made up a cocktail of several herbs that are extracted, I buy bulk herbs. Mixtures of different herbs probably makes more sense, e.g. hit from every angle. Combining herbs with pharmas can make sense since many of the herbs can stop the resistance phase. For instance I concocted the following:

1/ Cubeb peppercorns, paprika, black seed, andrographis and graviola. This helps but when I added the pharma Albendazole, helped even more. I suppose one should investigate mixing before starting to be on the safe side.

2/ Guava, mango and papaya leaves with goldenseal, cubeb peppercorns and black seed.
http://pptu.lefora.com/2011/09/10/mango-pawpaw-leaves-have-similar-potency-to-malari/

Part of the puzzle is to find the substances that organisms are vulnerable to.

I never tried cloves in an extract but take as a ground herb, tried artemesian with no effect but e histo could be sensitive to it. Never tried garlic as an extract and don't know if it exists but fresh garlic is best. The more you pulverize it the more allicin gets released which is good.

Yes vodka extracts are the same as extracts (I think that it is what you are saying), I suppose that dosing would be equal. There are a number of herbs that contain berberine including goldenseal, oregon grape root, chinesis coptis etc. Berberine can stop the resistance phase of the parasite.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 14 12 11:50 AM

I tried Pippali rasayana while I had EH but I'm not sure if I had Giradia.
It gave me some temporary relief in exchange with manageable constipation. It did not work for me but it might work for some people.

Unfortunately I could not find a way to prepare Pippali rasayana so I made powder of the pepper and Butea Monosperma (funny name huh?) and put in to pills or sprinkled in to food. Butea Monosperma has a nasty taste but the pepper can taste good with food.

This is what I wrote in a curezone post.

Pippali rasayana seem to have good success rate against Giardia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9201614

I found the two main ingredients.
Butea Monosperma
http://www.letsallbehealthy.com/store/product.php?productid=16195&cat=0&page=1

Piper longum (Black - Long Pepper)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Javanese-Long-Pepper-4-8-16oz-Sizes_W0QQitemZ380200123335QQcategoryZ14314QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#ht_1684wt_907

-jazzydude

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 14 12 3:15 PM

Thanks for your response Linenup. Can you please elaborate on your last sentence. "Berberine can stop the resistance phase of the parasite." ?

I transitioned into Berberine after my last dose of Doxy and Paro...Because I knew it hadn't cleared the EH....And didn't want the EH to have the opportunity to get a leg up. Have been thinking it is less effect this time (Had taken for a few weeks previously)...So have been afraid it's become resistant. (?)

Just got back from Cahill. He will not do more meds...yet. Too soon. He's afraid I'll end up with colitis or C Diff. So I'm going to try mixing some of these alternatives in a blend with the psyllium. What are your thoughts about why some are getting good results with the psyllium? I'm thinking the meds bind in it, instead of being fully absorbed...Therefore enabling it (the meds) to make their way to the colon. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 14 12 4:43 PM

Hi there .

Have done 2 doses of Paromomycin & Doxycycline for Entabmoeba Histolytica, about 2 months apart....Then transitioned into 3 - 200mg - doses of Berberine (Thorne's Berbercap) a day.
Am now taking the Berberine with Psyllium...Started today. Will add more alternative meds starting tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Nov 14 12 5:22 PM

lel, so you tested positive for a 3rd time for eh? 

Regarding psyllium, since many people get diarrhea from antibiotics, perhaps just the slowing down of elimination allows the drugs more time in the intestine.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Nov 14 12 5:30 PM

Hey tilly,

Nope....Didn't get re-tested (no point...Too soon...Plus taking Berberine) but still have all the symptoms...Back pain, rashes, pain by appendix/cecum area, loose stools, etc., etc. Started to regress (lose any gains) around day 8 on meds. Don't have clostridium difficile (Had before, know what that's like), no candida issues....All symptoms the same and have been unique to the EH.

Re: Regarding psyllium, since many people get diarrhea from antibiotics, perhaps just the slowing down of elimination allows the drugs more time in the intestine.
Good thought. I'm really fascinated with this concept. Want to really test it out.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 14 12 5:43 PM

Hey Brian,

1st time: 10 days
50mg Doxy 2x/day
250mg Paro 3x/day

2nd time: 14 days
50mg Doxy 2x/day
250mg Paro 3x/day

Are you wondering if the dose was too low?

Was fatigued. Also started to have ear trouble (pressure & pain) so was actually glad I wasn't on the higher dose. May have brought on permanent issues....As that is one of the Paro complications.

Thoughts?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 14 12 6:01 PM

Hi Lil,

I'm not wondering, I know the dose was too low :)

Why didn't you take Tinidazole before taking Paramomycin and Doxy?

To eradicate EH, you need to first kill the bugs in the muscle tissue (Tinidazole) and then the lumen (Paramomycin).

In order to effectively eradicate EH in the lumen, you need to take 1000mg of Paramomycin three times a day for at least 10 days.  The medicine needs to be taken every 8 hours at the same time of day for all 10 days.  It should be taken with food.

I eradicated EH w/ this protocol.  When I did this protocol, my girlfriend did Tinidazole for 5 days and Paramomycin at 250mg three times a day for 10 days and DID NOT eradicate EH.  This was confirmed by Dr. Cahill.

She then did Tinidazole + Paramomycin 1000mg three times a day and doxy two times a day for 10 days and DID eradicate EH.  This was confirmed by Cahill.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Brian

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 14 12 6:51 PM

Thanks so much for your input Brian. Am saving your above response in my notes.

UGH!!! Wish I had known that at the time. Am now afraid they (the critters) have developed resistance. Was an EH newbie at the time. Usually do my research but Cahill's credentials were impeccable. Got diagnosed, prescribed meds, and just took. 

If he knows this, why is he prescribing the lower dose? ....And then a second round after the first's failure!?

What are your thoughts on my being resistant now Brian?

One more thing, I did hear, from one of the people who work with him, that he no longer uses Tinidazole...Doesn't find it effective? How long ago did he treat you?

What were your symptoms?

Do you think your combo would work for me after I've already taken the doxy and paro 2x? What alternatives are there to the Paro 1,000mg part of the protocol. I'm wondering if he had some adverse responses (Kidney, ear issues) to the Paro. Why would he have prescribed the 1,000mg dose for you and now be doing 250mg. As mentioned, I did have ear issues on the 250mg dose which really rather freaked me. 

Hope this all makes sense. My head is spinning from everything.

All so frustrating and confusing. Really thought I would be done with this thing after one round!!!  

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 14 12 7:14 PM

There are people on this site who took the lower dose meds prescribed by Cahill who retested negative for EH. Of course finding no EH doesn't necessarily mean you are well.  But I took higher doses 500 paramo and 100 doxy (10 days) in addition to Tinidazole (5 days) and I am not well either. I  Have not retested yet.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 14 12 11:58 PM

Hi Tilly -- I'm sure that's true.  

There are also people who have not eradicated EH with Cahill's prescription because of the invasive nature of the Protozoa.  Even Cahill himself says that his protocol eliminates EH 85% of the time.  I think my girlfriend's story is a perfect example of this.

Individuals who have had EH for many years will find it more difficult to eradicate EH with a low dosage.  This is why I suggest taking 1000 mg three times daily from the begining, to avoid a possible second positive diagnosis and need to take the protocol, at a higher dosage, again.

What are your current symptoms?  What are you currently taking?  How did you react to the paramomycin?

Hi Lel --  check up on some of my prior posts.  I've detailed my story on this site in the past.  

When you took Paramomycin, did you get abdominal pain?  Did you take the same dosage both times?  I'm not a doctor, so I honestly cannot tell you if you've become resistant to paramomycin.  I don't even think a doctor can tell you that!  

When do you plan to retest with Cahill?  If you are positive again, I can suggest a similar protocol involving either Iodoquionol or Diloxanide Furoate (alternative lumen drugs).

Cheers,
Brian

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 15 12 4:34 AM

Brian:  Could you provide some outlines of drugs, dosages etc and other strategies that I could add to this post  http://pptu.lefora.com/2012/10/21/faq-e-histolytica/#post3    sort of summary of sorts (help bring clarity)  - thanks. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help