Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Feb 27 11 8:13 PM

Lineup,
Do you have a source for Iodoquinol? My doctor wrote a prescription but I could not find a pharmacy or wholesaler who carried it in the U.S.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

linenup

fanatic

#22 [url]

Feb 28 11 12:08 AM

I bought it from Medsmex - I think now they ask for a prescription but that is not an issue for you.  They sold it in the original manufacturer's bottle (a well known manufacturer).  

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 23 11 6:48 PM

Abstract

Abstract Image

Macrolide antibacterial agents inhibit parasite proliferation by targeting the apicoplast ribosome. Motivated by the long-term goal of identifying antiparasitic macrolides that lack antibacterial activity, we have systematically analyzed the structure−activity relationships among erythromycin analogues and have also investigated the mechanism of action of selected compounds. Two lead compounds, N-benzylazithromycin (11) and N-phenylpropylazithromycin (30), were identified with significantly higher antiparasitic activity and lower antibacterial activity than erythromycin or azithromycin. Molecular modeling based on the cocrystal structure of azithromycin bound to the bacterial ribosome suggested that a substituent at the N-9 position of desmethylazithromycin could improve selectivity because of species-specific interactions with the ribosomal L22 protein. Like other macrolides, these lead compounds display a strong “delayed death phenotype”; however, their early effects on T. gondii replication are more pronounced.

This is an interesting development, because Erythromycin is one antibiotic that provided some positive results regarding my PPTU.  If scientists can intensify the action - then we'll have a very powerful weapon.

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#25 [url]

May 18 11 10:30 PM

Clindamycin(klin'' da mye' sin)

Last Revision: October 1, 2010.

Warning

Many antibiotics, including clindamycin, may cause overgrowth of dangerous bacteria in the large intestine. This may cause mild diarrhea or may cause a life-threatening condition called colitis (inflammation of the large intestine). Clindamycin is more likely to cause this type of infection than many other antibiotics, so it should only be used to treat serious infections that cannot be treated by other antibiotics. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had colitis or other conditions that affect your stomach or intestines.

You may develop these problems during your treatment or up to several months after your treatment has ended. Call your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms during your treatment with clindamycin or during the first several months after your treatment has finished: watery or bloody stools, diarrhea, stomach cramps, or fever.

Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking clindamycin.

Why is this medication prescribed?

Clindamycin is used to treat certain types of bacterial infections, including infections of the lungs, skin, blood, female reproductive organs, and internal organs. Clindamycin is in a class of medications called lincomycin antibiotics. It works by slowing or stopping the growth of bacteria. Antibiotics such as clindamycin will not kill the viruses that cause colds, flu, and other infections.

How should this medicine be used?

Clindamycin comes as a capsule and a solution (liquid) to take by mouth. It is usually taken three to four times a day. The length of your treatment depends on the type of infection you have. Take clindamycin at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take clindamycin exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.

Shake the liquid well before each use to mix the medication evenly.

Take the capsules with a full glass of water so that the medication will not irritate your throat.

You should begin to feel better during the first few days of treatment with clindamycin. If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.

Take clindamycin until you finish the prescription, even if you feel better. If you stop taking clindamycin too soon or skip doses, your infection may not be completely treated and the bacteria may become resistant to antibiotics.

Other uses for this medicine

Clindamycin is also sometimes used to treat acne and is used along with other medications to treat anthrax (a serious infection that may be deliberately spread as part of a terror attack) and malaria (a serious infection that is spread by mosquitoes in certain parts of the world). Clindamycin is also sometimes used to treat ear infections and toxoplasmosis (an infection that may cause serious problems in people who do not have healthy immune systems or in unborn babies whose mothers are infected) when these conditions cannot be treated with other medications. Clindamycin is also sometimes used to prevent endocarditis (infection of the heart valves) in certain people who are at risk of developing this infection as a result of a dental procedure. Talk to your doctor about the risks of using this medication for your condition.

This medication may be prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

What special precautions should I follow?

Before taking clindamycin,

• tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to clindamycin, lincomycin (Lincocin), or any other medications. If you will be taking clindamycin capsules, tell your doctor if you are allergic to aspirin or tartrazine (a yellow dye found in some medications).

• tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention erythromycin (E.E.S, E-Mycin, Erythrocin, others). Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.

• tell your doctor if you have or have ever had asthma, allergies, eczema (sensitive skin that often becomes itchy or irritated) or kidney or liver disease.

• tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking clindamycin, call your doctor.

• if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking clindamycin.

What special dietary instructions should I follow?

Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, continue your normal diet.

What should I do if I forget a dose?

Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.

What side effects can this medication cause?

Clindamycin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

• nausea

• vomiting

• joint pain

• pain when swallowing

• heartburn

• white patches in the mouth

• thick, white vaginal discharge

• burning, itching, and swelling of the vagina

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms or those listed in the IMPORTANT WARNING section, call your doctor immediately:

• blisters

• rash

• hives

• difficulty breathing or swallowing

• yellowing of the skin or eyes

• decreased urination

Clindamycin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.

If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online [athttp://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch] or by phone [1-800-332-1088].

What storage conditions are needed for this medicine?

Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Do not refrigerate clindamycin liquid because it may thicken and become hard to pour. Throw away any unused clindamycin solution after 2 weeks. Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.

In case of emergency/overdose

In case of overdose, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsed or is not breathing, call local emergency services at 911.

What other information should I know?

Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your doctor may order certain lab tests to check your body's response to clindamycin.

Do not let anyone else take your medication. Your prescription is probably not refillable. If you still have symptoms of infection after you finish the clindamycin, call your doctor.

It is important for you to keep a written list of all of the prescription and nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines you are taking, as well as any products such as vitamins, minerals, or other dietary supplements. You should bring this list with you each time you visit a doctor or if you are admitted to a hospital. It is also important information to carry with you in case of emergencies.

Logo of American Society of Health-System Pharmacists

American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Disclaimer

AHFS® Consumer Medication Information. © Copyright, 2011. The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Inc., 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland. All Rights Reserved. Duplication for commercial use must be authorized by ASHP.

The following brand names are from RxNorm, a standardized nomenclature for clinical drugs produced by the National Library of Medicine:

Brand names

• Cleocin

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

May 24 11 1:49 AM

Hi Lineup,

Can you update us on the final verdict on UNdec Acid? Also what have you in your experimnetal arsenal at the moment that may be promising, anything?

Homer37

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#28 [url]

Sep 8 11 8:08 PM

I found this article at http://www.integrativehealthconsulting.com/educate/downloads/Intestinal_Parasites_6-05.pdf in which they discuss other drug combinations:

-----------------combination #1

Treatment for Non-complicated Parasite Infections
Very effective against: Blastocystis hominis, Endolimax nana,
Iodamoeba butschlii, Entamoeba histolytica, Entamoeba fragilis, and
Entamoeba coli.

1) Humatin (paromomycin) 250 mg 2 pills 3X per day for 10 days
2) Iodoquinol 650 mg 1 pill 3X per day for 20 days
3) Metagenics Candibactin BR 1 pill 3X per day for 20 days
(800-692-9400)

Start all of the above on the same day. Take together in between
meals with a full glass of water (at least 30 minutes before or two
hours after a meal). Mild to moderate gas, bloating, nausea, and
even cramping may occur. Stop all the medications if frequent
vomiting or a rash occurs.

Following this treatment, take a high potency probiotic supplement for
at least one month. I recommend:
Custom Probiotics - Adult Formula CP-1,
1 capsule 2x/day with or without meals
(800) 219-8405

-----------------combination #2

Treatment for 3 Parasite Infections or Resistant Parasites
1) Humatin 250 mg 2 pills 2x/day for 14 days
2) Albendazole 200 mg 1 pill 2x/day for 14 days
3) Iodoquinol 650 mg 1 pill 2x/day for 14 days
#4) Metamusil (psyllium seed husks) 1 tablespoon 2x/day for 14 days
#5) L-Glutamine Powder 1 teaspoon 2x/day for 14 days
Start all of the medications together. Take them with #4 and #5 in a
full glass of water or juice at least 30 minutes before or two hours
after a meal. Mild to moderate gas, bloating, nausea, and even
cramping may occur. Stop all the medications if frequent vomiting or
a rash occurs.
1 capsule 2x/day with or without meals
(800) 219-8405

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 18 11 4:57 PM

on medhelp.org the travel medicine doctor recommended prazi and mebendazole I think it was for a preventative cure after returning from southeast Asia.  prazi can kill some of these flukes apparently that other drugs miss
I noticed that siammeds is down now?

I am kind of upset that I have had this parasite for 2 years now and it is impossible to get a doctor to give me prescription meds for it.  has anyone else had this experience that doctors won't order blood tests and parasite meds?  how are you supposed to diagnose it anyway just from these unreliable stool tests?

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Nov 18 11 11:42 PM

Yes the first breakthrough you have to make is the right doctor.  I ran into a wall of Doctors for years. 

WHere do you live?  If you live in the USA you should try to get a PPO insurance plan (if you don't already).  Then you can find an integrative Doctor who will work with natural and medical remedies. 

A good way to find a Dr. who will order the right tests and who is both holistic and medical is to contact Metametrix, the lab company, and ask what doctors in your area offer these tests.

If you live in Europe I think Germany would offer some really good doctors who think along the lines you need, but I am sure they are in most places in Western Europe.

If you have flukes prazi will help with them for sure.  Maybe not eradicate, but help.  You can order from southeast asia or medsmex pretty easily.  This is at least for liver flukes.  I do not know where yours are, do you see flukes in the bowel movements?

You should see red flukes every so often (living ones).  White ones are babies and grey/black ones are dead ones. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Nov 19 11 12:09 AM

thanks very much.  how do you diagnose lung flukes?  is a chest xray or CT scan good?
I'm in the US.  I see once in a while stools with red stripes and blood?  once I had blood tinged mucus.  it's terrible I went to an infectious disease doctor at a hospital and she didn't order any blood test just told me to do a stool test
the ID doctor and PCP said the blood test wasn't reliable- but I have elevated IGE at 165 and now the positive charcot-leyden stool test from the GI doctor
the GI doc did a colonoscopy and flex sig with biopsies and they were negative, but an amoeba wouldn't be visible it seems unless there were cysts

some people say to do parasite cleanses twice a year, don't know if it is toxic to do that with prescription meds
this is one lung fluke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragonimus_westermani
it seems like you just have to avoid eating crab and snails even if it is cooked?  I ate some crab while I was in Indonesia

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Nov 19 11 12:20 AM

I took prazi for what I thought was takeworm.... the next 24 hours tons of red looking things came out.

You could have liver flukes.  Prazi will most likely offer instant relief if you do.  I would look to order online via some of the reliable Thai or Mexican sites - like medsmex. 

Fasinex is very hard to come by but it is more effective in eradicating liver flukes.  YOu want to first see if you have it.  Liver flukes are a major problem in the developing world.

You need to find a Doctor that will work with you and that will make it so much easier.  Contact metametrix to ask what providers they have in your area, then check with them. 

http://www.metametrix.com/ 

They will have some Dr.'s that are willing to go beyond the standard stool tests just based on the simple fact that they use metametrix.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Nov 19 11 1:12 AM

do liver flukes show up on an ultrasound? 
I think you need to do liver/kidney blood tests if you are taking strong meds to make sure you don't do any damage

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#34 [url]

Nov 19 11 1:18 AM

ejhang:  you will need to do the MM test and another stool test through the hospital or outside lab (if you have the money) -  trying to self diagnose is difficult to do.   Probably best to do serum antibodies testing for flukes -  some have reported expelling these with MMS - they report seeing 'rolled up tomato skins' after using -  the crystals you report can come from ascaricis (roundworm) and probably other parasites or other infections.    

Charcot-Leyden crystals are microscopic crystals found in people who have allergic diseases such as asthma or parasitic infections such as parasitic pneumonia or ascariasis.

Clinical significance

They are indicative of a disease involving eosinophilic inflammation or proliferation, such as is found in allergic reactions and parasitic infections.

Charcot-Leyden crystals are often seen pathologically in patients with bronchial asthma.

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#35 [url]

Nov 20 11 2:25 AM

Proton-pump inhibitors suggested to be better than metronidazole against protozoal parasites:

Antiprotozoal activity of proton-pump inhibitors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22047694

Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2011 Oct 14. [Epub ahead of print]

Antiprotozoal activity of proton-pump inhibitors.

Pérez-Villanueva JRomo-Mancillas AHernández-Campos AYépez-Mulia LHernández-Luis FCastillo R.

Source

Facultad de Química, Departamento de Farmacia, UNAM, México DF 04510, Mexico.

Abstract

Parasitic diseases are still a major health problem in developing countries. In our effort to find new antiparasitic agents, in this Letter we report the in vitro antiprotozoal activity of omeprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole and pantoprazole against Trichomonas vaginalis, Giardia intestinalis and Entamoeba histolytica. Molecular modeling studies were an important tool to highlight the potential antiprotozoal activity of these drugs. Experimental evaluations revealed a strong activity for all compounds tested. Rabeprazole and pantoprazole were the most active compounds, having IC(50) values in the nanomolar range, which were even better than metronidazole, the drug of choice for these parasites.

Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier Ltd.

PMID:

[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Nov 20 11 4:14 AM

Ironically flagyl is the most prescribed yet least effective thing out there.  Not broad spectrum at all, only effective against a few things AND WITH another antibiotic as well.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Nov 28 11 6:45 PM

thanks so much!  I've just been seriously crippled by these diseases and can't even read forums that well

these 2 drugs were mentioned as the most effective by the Pubmed article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabeprazole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantoprazole

Does anyone have access to this rabeprazole/protozoa article please?
I've been taking nexium off and on and wonder if this GERD and vomiting I've had was from an infection
I'm not sure if flagyl or metranidazole seemed that effective but it stopped the blood in my stool that I've had for 15 years and the nausea/vomiting
it seemed to work after day 7 and I was only given 10 days- I have to see if the bleeding returns
so I could have a worm infection?  badbugs.org recommends paromomycin with nitrazoxanide
also I've heard of prazi with mebendazole for worm treatment- it seems that mebendazole is more broad spectrum than albendazole and less toxic

it seems like my PCP doctor is really bad, she had me do one stool test and when it came back negative told me very strongly that I was ok even though I was having symptoms and now stool test #3 comes back positive

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Nov 28 11 7:12 PM

the problem with nexium is also it has side effects like kidney disease/damage, I don't know if I should stop taking it or not- I will change to a different medication possibly
I need to get a CT scan of my kidneys because of the blood in my urine/hematuria and a blood test

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Nov 28 11 7:30 PM

Hi Ejhang,

Don't mean to scare you but please google the dangers of CT scans. I have had two that showed nothing and they expose you to dangerously high levels of radiation. Doctors throw them around willy nilly and down play the dangers because again they for the most part don't have a clue. My current doctor told me he's had one CT scan and would never have another unless an MRI was out of the question. I understand that at times it may be neccessary but try to ask for an MRI and pay for it if you have too. Just be aware that they are not really safe.

Lincoln 

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Nov 29 11 12:33 AM

I'm not sure about CTs either, hospital tech told me you get more radiation from going on a plane, but if a doctor says that it is probably true

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help