Lead

Sep 18 10 2:51 AM

Tags : :

I am thankful that Curezone has enabled a parasite protozoa forum and we can use either forum for general discussions however this site enables a better way to manage information and information is what we need to beat this disease.   I am categorizing specific information so that users can access information quickly and will continue to update over the next few weeks.    I have no problems with CZ with the exception that I find that those who are 'experts' are not always qualified to provide new people with information that is accurate or correct.   Although I understand that those who post are eager to help, I found in some circumstances that the information given was not always the best in fact in certain circumstances it can be misleading :(

#1   I stand behind valid and reliable testing.   This must be the first logical step in recovery.   There are many pathogens that inhabit the GI tract and some of these are parasites.  So it is illogical to make the assumption that parasites are the only cause of the problem.   But even within the parasite world there are many variations and with these variations the treatments are different.   So it is difficult to say what worked for my problem will work for yours.  It can, but I don't think this is the right way to go. 

Traditional parasite testing has a high failure rate.   This is fact, not an opinion.  Even the $500 per hour Infectious Disease doctor I saw agreed.     Why does this fail?

Reason #1:   Someone looks at your sample thru a microscope.   It is impossible for the microscopist to look at 100% of your sample.  So my guess is that they look at small samples given. 

Reason #2 :   Shedding of parasites.   For the parasites to appear it would be better if they were shedding.   In other words they release out of their hiding place into the stool, so when they shed you have higher populations which would increase the possiblity of showing under the microscope. 

Reason #3:   Identification is tricky.   Labs are setup to look for particular shapes, for instance Giardia has a distinctive shape, it is easy to recognize.   However there can be parasites that are difficult to identify as they can resemble un-parasite looking things. 

Reason #4:   There are parasites that have yet to be identified as pathogenic.   In other words, mainstream science has not gotten around to either identifying or accepting new parasites.   The wheels move very slowly in medical science.  For instance it took them 50 years to finally recognize how dangerous trans-fatty acids are - the information was written about in the 1950's!

PCR testing is the most accurate form of testing.  It does not rely on someone looking thru a microscope.   PCR uses DNA to identify.   So they dissolve your sample and look for DNA strains in your sample, this is analyzed and compared against known DNA of parasites or bacteria, yeast etc.  In other words every living thing has a DNA strain that is unique to itself.   It is like a unique key, or a fingerprint.  

Metametrix states the following about PCR:

"In the last decade, DNA sequencing has played a pivotal role in our knowledge of microbial diversity providing an outstanding tool for the detection, identification, and characterization of microorganisms. DNA assessment has greater efficiency, reliability, and reproducibility, as well as providing both qualitative and quantitative data. DNA analysis is the new gold standard for identification of  pathogens (my edit) bacteria in clinical microbiology and has greatly facilitated the identification and classification of intestinal microbiota composition. Much of this has been done with techniques based on 16S rDNA gene, which include fluorescent in situ hybridization, denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis, and temperature gradient gel electrophoresis..."

Video about Metametrix GI Effects Test

#2  Effective treatment strategies:::

Protozoa are parasites but they are not the same thing as what people think are parasites.   Most people associate parasites with gruesome images of worms or flukes.  Protozoa are a different class of parasites and should not be confused with the worm or fluke classes.   These are microscopic that is cannot be seen by the naked eye like a roundworm can.   These are more like bacteria than worms, but are more advanced than bacteria.  

So why are people trying to treat them with the stuff that kills worms?   Doesn't make sense to me!  The only ingredient found in most common formulas is wormwood (artemsia) which is a chinese herb that does have some killing power.   I advise against it due to its toxicity.   Long term use is not advised.  So what about black walnut etc etc.   I have found thru my reading and personal experience that there is scant evidence to show its effectiveness. 

Treatments for protozoa are specific and hopefully we can fill this forum with the known and effective agents which we will explore.