Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 1 13 10:41 AM

Tags : :

Wondering if anyone else suffers from heart palpitations (PVC's) after contracting a parasite.  I experienced intermittent heart palpitations after contracting Blastocystis.  When I first got sick my heart would race and I would get bad anxiety.  Over the course of several years I would experience an occasional missed beat.

Then 2 years ago I started getting periods of PVC's that would last a few days and then go away.  Now I have them almost daily.  They seem to come on when my guts are at their worst.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced these and been able to tie them to parasites or other infections.  

Most doctors I have talked to do not draw any correlation between the two except for one emergency doctor who said he suspected that many cases of heart palpitations were the result of an infection.

I have not tested positive for any definitive parasite for the last 4 years (although I did get a recent PPTU from Metametrix) so not sure what is going on.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 1 13 3:18 PM

Yes - I got them too a while back, but they have since stopped (perhaps with changes in diet).

Apparently H Pylori can cause PVCs too. I too only got a PPTU in my results - but that's not to say we definitely don't have H Pylori, which I have always suspected.

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#2 [url]

Nov 2 13 12:46 AM

Thanks ebrooker for the response.

The most likely cause is loss of vital electrolytes (magnesium being the first choice, potassium, sodium and chloride follows) Any infection stimulates adrenal hormones into the bloodstream. The purpose of the hormones is help the body hold the infection at bay, for instance cortisol is just one of the adrenal hormones released, this has pharmaceutical type of effects in the body. Cortisol is a waster of vital electrolytes. http://patrickrambling-pb.blogspot.com/2012/02/adrenal-fatigue.html

Magnesium is lost under any type of adrenal stress along with a whole host of other nutrients. Magnesium loss is associated with cardiovascular health, immune, neurological and metabolic health. Reference Dr. Mildred Seelig for her selected works at mgwater.com, she was the premier researcher on magnesium issues.

Serum levels of electrolytes is not a true measure of mineral status, hair analysis provides a much better read since it measures storage levels and not blood levels. Trace Elements has the best test IMO. The type of magnesium is critical as well since most common forms are not bioavailable (mag oxide) and I am not a big fan of orotates, citrates or asportates. Mag lysinate is good (and another user validates that and forgive me for not remembering who that is) - UltraMag is a blend of several forms of magnesium that covers a lot of bases and I take Magnesium Chelate as well.

Potassium is another vital electrolyte which is implicated in cardiovascular health. The RDA of it is quite high (thinking 3000mg or so) so it is best in raw organic food form. But I have good results with EmergenC which has lots of other minerals and b vitamins along with vitamin C.

B vitamins are lost under adrenal stress and should be replenished.

Of course getting the minerals in food form is helpful as well (as organic whole foods - e.g. not processed but in its natural forms (raw versus canned). I have to give a disclaimer that I am not a physician, so I am not able to diagnose or treat, as always, check with your physician

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 2 13 5:36 AM

Excellent info their LU. That certainly seems plausible, and I imagine could be the case of an infection in the first part of the small bowel too - where it interferes with mineral absorption and digestion.

I have Drs Best Bone Health complex which I am going to start taking again, I know my mag levels will be low because of the acid suppression meds I am still on.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 2 13 9:33 AM

Thanks for that info linenup and ebrooker! That makes a lot of sense. I suppose that after years of infection (based on symptoms) my body has simply run low on reserves. That coupled with a year plus of PPI use my magnesium levels could certainly be low. And having tested positive on a SIBO test it's plausible that even taking magnesium and other supplements I am not fully able to absorb what I need.

I had been taking a magnesium/potassium supplement in the form of magnesium aspartate, oxide, citrate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate and it did seem to make a slight difference. I will look into the UltraMag. I wonder if taking a liquid vitamin supplement would be more readily absorbed?

I definitely notice that they pick up when my guts are at their worst meaning more frequent stool that is more loose than normal. The only parasite I ever tested positive for was blastocystis. Recent tests showed PPTU and Klebsiella. I've seen others on this forum report heart palpitations with blastocystis which I find interesting.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 2 13 5:35 PM

Hey Zemok, when were you prescribed PPIs and what were your symptoms? What dosage are you on?

PPIs are the devil - I wish I never took them (was prescribed them for a month a few years ago). They totally mess up your gut flora.

PPIs also inhibit gallbladder function by up to 30%. I used to get a pain in my right side within 30 mins of taking one.

I switched to a H2 antagonist, Ranitidine (the Zantac brand) at 150mg twice a day, then I weaned down to 150mg just at night, and now I am alternating - 150mg one night, 75mg the next. I am trying to wean off.

DO NOT stop PPIs cold turkey, that's what I did and got a MASSIVE rebound - i think that has left me with some pretty horrendous scarring :(
Switch to ranititine, then wean off those as described above.

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#6 [url]

Nov 3 13 2:25 PM

zemokThanks for that info linenup and ebrooker! That makes a lot of sense. I suppose that after years of infection (based on symptoms) my body has simply run low on reserves. That coupled with a year plus of PPI use my magnesium levels could certainly be low. And having tested positive on a SIBO test it's plausible that even taking magnesium and other supplements I am not fully able to absorb what I need.

I had been taking a magnesium/potassium supplement in the form of magnesium aspartate, oxide, citrate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate and it did seem to make a slight difference. I will look into the UltraMag. I wonder if taking a liquid vitamin supplement would be more readily absorbed?

I definitely notice that they pick up when my guts are at their worst meaning more frequent stool that is more loose than normal. The only parasite I ever tested positive for was blastocystis. Recent tests showed PPTU and Klebsiella. I've seen others on this forum report heart palpitations with blastocystis which I find interesting.

AKG mag (alpha ketoglutarate) and taurinate are decent -  mag glycinate or mag chloride (Slow Mag) might be a good choice or try the lysinate or just the Chelated Magnesium.   Vitamin D levels are critical for mag absorption.  Calcium plays a role as well but many people are calcium heavy - hair analysis can provide a window of levels.    Good idea about the liquid - EmergenC is a great product that can provide some magnesium and other minerals as well as the critical b vitamins and vitamin C.  

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 4 13 4:01 PM

ebrooker - I was prescribed Prilosec about 2 years ago after an endoscopy showed issues with reflux despite never having any symptoms of reflux. They said I needed to be on them for life to reduce my risk of esophageal cancer. I am on 20mg twice per day. I hate them. It was only after being on them for a year that I started to develop more frequent heart palpitationsand I though that they were the culprit but after being off of them for a few months it didn't make a huge difference.

I've thought about switching to an H2 especially since I read recently about a study that showed PPI use can increase your risk of heart disease. I can't help but think that PPI use to some extent as played a role in my current issues.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 4 13 4:54 PM

Ah right, I remember you saying now.

I never had any reflux type problems until *after* going on them. Some say reflux is actually caused because of a lack of acid :/

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 4 13 5:26 PM

ebrooker - It's interesting that I've had two doctors now argue with me that stomach acid is not needed. A GI doctor told me that stomach acid was just a relic from the days when our ancestors ate rotten meat etc. and that we can easily do without it today. From what I have read it plays an important role in killing microbes as well as the absorption of certain nutrients. He remained very adamant that it was not needed. Granted you could survive without it I still think it plays a role in proper digestion and function. Still lots we don't know about how the body and all of it's systems work.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Nov 6 13 9:31 AM

ebrooker - Thanks for that link. Lots of good information in there. Over the past several years I've come to realize that many doctors only want to treat the symptoms and have you go away rather than dig in and figure out what is really going on. Thankfully I've found a good ND who is willing to think outside the box and do the work to at least try and figure it out. As he said the other day; "We are way outside the box right now but that may be what it takes to get you healthy again."

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 6 13 6:44 PM

Yeah, they don't realise how much damage they do by 'treating symptomatically'. ****** - they must really, surely they are not that dumb?

I regret taking those PPIs all those years ago, my health deteriorated fast after that.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 7 13 3:35 PM

I noticed the same thing. I was actually surviving for the most part until taking those PPI's and then I started seeing a whole host of new symptoms. I suspect they changed my GI flora for the worse and who knows what else they did. Things started getting worse after about a year of being on them.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 7 13 6:49 PM

Makes you mad doesn't it?

I keep trying to wean off them, but it's difficult.

Lowering our defences opened up the floodgates - whatever infection we had and was being kept at bay, then prob spread.

If I had done all these botanicals all those years ago before taking the PPIs, I doubt I'd have this problem now. The PPIs really screwed us over.

Quote    Reply   

jyt

fanatic

#17 [url]

Feb 15 14 11:56 AM

heart palpitation

I found that my heart palpitation was more MECHANICAL and not physiological. When I bend down after I eat, I got it very bad due to the pressure from the esophagus on the heart or the X nerve which causes a tonic heart beat suddenly.

I think hietal hernia is the cause in most case. So don;t bend down after you eat.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 16 14 2:15 PM

Heart Palpitations, Magnesium/Electrolyte levels, Depression/anxiety, Weird Pain in L Chest, Stomach acid, Food/diet..........Living w parasites

=13.0ptHello --- Thank You All, just discovered this site today!=13.0pt =13.0ptAfter suffering chronic parasites and deteriorating health since 2003 trip to Puerto Rico, I feel A LOT LESS CRAZY after reading what's shared on here!=13.0pt =13.0ptParasitic infections are so isolating -- even doctors from whom we seek help can look at us like we're crazy, and friends/family get bored hearing the repeating complaints......so beyond the medical maze and physical pain, I suffer a lot with depression because of this, as well as periods of very high anxiety, wondering if I will EVER feel better again!I feel sick so much of the time it has destroyed my social life, as I cannot function well when I go out for more than an hour or two.=13.0pt =13.0ptI live in NYC and have seen Dr Cahill since 2010, yet I still, despite many rounds of tests/meds, have cyclically recurring parasitic infections.  I woke up 3am recently w very bad heart palpitations pounding out of my chest and was so scared I called EMS.  Saw Cahill later that day, he thought parasites could definitely cause my heart palpitations.=13.0pt =13.0ptReading up on magnesium and low electrolyte levels, magnesium deficiency can cause muscle tics in the eyelids, face and elsewhere, and major charley horse cramping then locking of muscles -- I had mine in face, legs and feet.  One thing that makes me better when really ill w parasites is drink Pediasure, or another electrolyte drink (you can mix it w water), which REALLY helps to feel better and more hydrated.  Makes sense-- when the parasites are active, water or fluids help flush out all the toxic waste products they leave behind in our bodies!=13.0pt =13.0ptAbout a weird pain in the middle of the L chest wall, I have this pain regularly too, and asked my cardiologist about it, who says it doesn't sound like heart pain, it sounds like some variant of GI pain, and from research I've done suspect it is just one more effect of being colonized by parasites.  After all, especially the one-celled ones like E Histolytica can go wherever they want, into the blood stream, to the lungs, liver and brain!   Thanks for that great posting w the image of the GI tract.  Makes it easier to visualize what's going on where inside!=13.0pt =13.0ptRe stomach acid: I recommend reading 'Dropping Acid' by Dr Jamie Koufman.  She talks in depth about how GERD and other GI diseases and cancers have increased substantially since the 1970's, when the FDA approved the addition of acids into most food supplies to increase shelf life.  Only problem is, our bodies weren't built to eat this stuff--it's basically acid.  Her book includes lists of many foods, with the pH of each, making it easier to choose and eat low-pH foods, and limit high acid foods, to gradually heal your GI tract.  She also has recipes which are great!  You can buy pH testing strips at your pharmacy, just hold it under the urine stream of your first morning pee and you can see how acid/alkaline your body is.  This can guide you in your eating choices, and your pee doesn't lie!
: - )=13.0pt =13.0ptI've taken the PPI meds and they made me feel much worse over time.  I also developed osteoporosis, which is a real threat when you stay on these meds.  I no longer take them, but I do watch my diet and avoid high-acid foods that give me heartburn.  Chewing Papaya enzymes after eating helps things digest better, too.  Also getting a firm bolster pillow for your bed, to bring your head and GI tract up higher during the night to prevent acid reflux, as stomach acid production increases a lot between 10 pm and 2am.=13.0pt =13.0ptAlso, if you have parasites, they crave high carb and sugar fuel, so it helps to eat mostly fresh veggies, scrubbed and washed in 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water or peeled before eating them cooked, since parasites colonize fresh fruits and veggies like salad greens, raspberries etc which often come from other countries off-season where manure is used as fertilizer.  Below is a link that talks about how parasitic-infected people should stay AWAY from eating too many carbs, you are just giving the parasites the fuel they love!  Higher protein diets and drinking lots of water are recommended from what I read.   I do OK eating eggs despite the list below, but have totally stopped gluten in all forms and that does help me feel MUCH better.  Udi's makes non-gluten breads; I like them best when toasted.=13.0pt =13.0ptMy pharmacist advised me that when my appetite is really low due to parasitic infection, taking a B-Complex vitamin helps stimulate the appetite.  I find I do better eating small amounts of food every two hours, rather than eating large amounts of different foods at one huge meal.  The body has to work less hard digesting just one type of food at a time.  I also use my blender to puree things up so my injured GI tract has less work to do in digesting food.  : - )=13.0pt =17.0pt =13.0ptSPECIFIC FOODS:

=13.0ptThe following foods all contain a low/very low carbohydrate content, and should not aggravate parasitic symptoms:Pumpkin, artichokes, beetroot, cabbage, green peppers, tomatoes - grilled/fried, parsnips, summer squash, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, string beans, asparagus, onions, egg plant, salsify, okra, kohlrabi, endive, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, chard, spinach, broccoli, zucchini, onions (caramilised onions - ie. heated to a high temp as in frying - contain high levels of starch), salad greens, kale, spaghetti squash, bok choy, collard greens.
Fish & small amounts of meat are ok to eat.Avoid cheese & eggs.Milk in small amounts is ok if tolerated. Soy milk is generally better tolerated than dairy.=13.0ptThe following foods are high in carbohydrates/starches and should be=13.0pt avoided:
All grains: wheat, rye, oats, barley, corn, rice;Potato & sweet potato,dry beans and peas,tapioca, sago, peanuts, chestnuts,bananas;green peas.=13.0ptMany prepared foods contain starches and should be avoided:couscous, breads, cookies, muffins, cakes, biscuits, pastas, and tabouli, breakfast cereals.

Sugar, honey, maple syrup & fruit should be avoided.=13.0ptA comprehensive list of starchy foods here
 =13.0pt

And finally, in living w parasites, I find it helpful just to do an hour of work, followed by a rest, then another hour of activity, followed by rest.  And get at least 8 hrs of sleep each night, plus drink lots of water.

Even though these parasitic bastards are way smaller than me and can hide out eating me all over inside, I am smarter than they are so 

I remind myself that with persistence, sharing war stories with others, and science research and my doctors to help me, I hope to one day outsmart them!

=17.0pt Thank you to all who've shared stories here, it helps me so much to hear what you go through!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 24 17 11:27 AM

Hi 

I have blasto and h Pylori and developed SVT which is a heart condition (arrhythmia). My heart was racing a lot. The halter monitors never caught it. I bought my own ecg monitor called Kardia by Alivecor $100. I was able an episode email it to my dr. My magnesium and everything was fine. These parasites apparently release toxins that send the body nuts. A doctor in Italy found that 70% of her patients have parasites. 

Ive been trying to kill blasto for 2 yrs now. metronitazol doesn't work. I am now taking nitazoxinade but it's driving my heart nuts.

good luck! 

Quote    Reply   

linenup

fanatic

#20 [url]

Feb 1 17 4:54 AM

Thanks for posting. Yes you are right about the toxins, the parasites produce bad toxins and the immune system is quite active during these infections. These chemicals produced by the immune system are quite toxic (oxides and nitrogen compounds)  Did they check the magnesium by serum levels? 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help